A lot about a farmers market is old-school. Based on most people’s eating habits the mere idea of buying raw ingredients and cooking from scratch is all too rare. To many, cooking dinner is opening a jar of sauce that someone else made and serving it over pasta someone else made. We don’t expect to, nor are we trying to, convince everyone to make everything completely from scratch but we hope to at least make people conscious of the difference. This is the spirit of planning winter food demos with a bit of a party also.
Events Begin at 11:00 AM except as noted
Saturday, October 12
10:00AM to 1:00PM
2nd Saturday each month:
Get connected to community resources, health screenings, arts, fitness, music, a free healthy snack and so much more! Information on cancer awareness.
Taste of Autumn Benefit cancelled, But we still need your help.
East Cleveland Farmers Market
PO Box 803626
Cleveland, OH 44103
The Market is an all-volunteer organization depends on fundraising for the majority of operating expenses.
Here some accomplishments by the Coit Road Farmers Market in the past 12 months:
- Distributed over $9,000 in incentives to address food insecurity for customers through Produce Perks/Coupon for SNAP and Produce Prescriptions through the Cleveland Clinic.
- Painted the interior ceiling of the Market building.
- Hosted 6 Care-A-Van community resource events and conducted over 20 cooking classes to encourage healthier eating.
- Repaired the potholes in the Market parking lot and a broken sewer pipe.
- Recruited volunteer groups for 6 site cleanups. Employed and trained 7 East Cleveland students through a MyCom grant for wages.
Here’s what your donations can help accomplish:
- $750 pays a half year of property taxes
- $200 pays 1 month’s electric bill
- $100 pays 1 month’s water run off fees to the Sewer District.
- $50 pays our phone bill.
- $25 supports a cooking class.
Saturdays, October 26, November 23
9:00AM to 10:00AM
At Stephanie Tubbs Jones Health Center in East Cleveland including health screenings, an exercise class, a cooking segment by the Market during the produce distribution.
2015 – 16 Event Recap
The market conducted over 25 cooking classes in 2015 with support from the
Cleveland Chapter of Les Dames d’Escoffier. Classes included making tamales, hand-made pasta, smokies, sausage, perogies, tamales, cooking with cast iron and vegetarian dishes. A monthly class during a Cleveland Food Bank produce distribution at Stephanie Tubbs Jones Medical Center in East Cleveland includes both exercise and cooking.