Shopping at Farmers’ Markets
- What to bring: a list of possible fruit or vegetable items to purchase until your next market visit and a reusable bag or bags to carry your purchases.
- Arrive early for best selection or late for a potentially discounted selection.
- Take a walk around the market before making purchases to get an idea of what is available from the vendors. There will be multiple vendors selling fruits and vegetables.
- Compare what is available to your list and select items to purchase.
- Unlike in the grocery stores, you make your purchases at each vendor booth – there is not a single “check-out” area.
Questions you can ask vendors:
- What are some ways to prepare a fruit or vegetable they may be selling?
- Where were the fruits and vegetables that they are selling grown?
- How were their fruits and vegetables grown?
- When were they picked or harvested?
- What will you have available next week?